Getting back into digital design I have started reading Designing Interface (2nd Edition).
After reading the preface and chapter 3 (Navigation) it was very helpful in a way that it;
- Helped me verbalise what I learned and knew as designer over the years, so that I can communicate more efficiently with colleagues and clients.
- Clarify reasons behind rules so that decisions for modification could be done faster and easier.
Here are some patterns categorized under Navigation and my notes
- Deep link state: Think what & what not to keep as user state so not to disorient user returning
- Annotated scroll-bar: Think what is the minimal and most important information required while scrolling
- Animated transition: I knew it helped user but now I know how. It is also helpful the book suggest stating point for transition should be around 300 millisecond.
- Fat menu: It was a popular technique to improve KPI for EC sites while I was in digital marketing optimization role, but knowing how it help navigation lets me optimize further from UI design perspective.
That’s as far as I got. I think this is a great book for entry level to ramp up, or expert to simplify communication.